Powered By Blogger

Saturday 5 September 2015

Interesting Dilemma: Sharing my Thoughts

Good Saturday morning folks!

It's election fever here in Singapore as we are in the midst of our elections to vote for the next party to be in parliament. My vote is still undecided as a myriad of topics emerge for both deliberations and considerations. Usually in the past, there is an 'election effect' that we would see for Singapore stocks. However, with the current overall market volatility this effect has been completely dilluted.

Nonetheless, I remain steadfast in having strong belief in our local companies. More so of the ones that I have invested in. In recent weeks I have been faced with a dilemma.

- Do I average down only on some of my heavily beaten down positions?: OCBC Bank (11% down), Jardine Matheson (11% down) & Sembcorp (17% down).

- Or do I maintain allocation discipline and add evenly across all names?: Currently I have 8 names in the portfolio which has not changed for the last 6 months: OCBC Bank, Sembcorp Industries, Jardine Matheson Holdings, CapitalandMall Trust, Mapletree Commercial Trust, Singtel, ComfortDelgro and Raffles Medical.

- Or do I add positions to the ones that have continued to hold up well?: Comfortdelgro and Raffles Medical, both positions are the top performers in my portfolio.

As I type this and with limited resources at any one point, I'm still pondering on the next step to take. However and I say this with immense pride, I am glad that I rejected the urge to panic sell or to re-consolidate certain positions indiscrimately. With proper planning and selective stock picking, it became apparently clear and more so during the recent market madness that the companies which I have chosen are solid names that I would want to add even more when markets rotate.
So I'm glad my decision moving forward is skewed towards where to ADD rather than where to SELL as there is no impairment I see at all to any of the 8 businesses that I have stakes in. Nonetheless and on the flip-side, in a bullish market if any of the positions have risen to levels that I feel are prime for trimming, the appropriate rebalancing will be done. This was done a couple of times on both the Comfortdelgro and Raffles Medical positions earlier this year (for those of you who have been following my blog you may have read those earlier posts).

So remember, to empower your portfolio you need to have faith in the companies you put your hard earned money in. Not blind faith I have to reiterate, but faith stemming from hard work and research in the companies you own.

If you are new to investing and would like to construct a portfolio for a start, you may wish to follow my selections and get updated via this blog. However, please do not take this as buy-sell recommendations but they are suggestions on how to construct a proper stock portfolio. This will hopefully set you on the course to a better financial future and less reliance on your active work income.

Ending off with sharing some of my dividend updates for Sept below:

*Dividend Update for Sept
- Scrip reinvestment elected: OCBC Bank $360
- Scrip reinvestment elected: Jardine Matheson US$38

Signing Off and Have a Great Weekend
Transitioning Stock Investor







No comments:

Post a Comment