Powered By Blogger

Saturday 12 September 2015

Post General Elections 2015 + Portfolio Update. Do have a read!

And so, the people of Singapore have spoken. In what was a rather surprising result, the tailwind shifted to the sails of the PAP party's ship. The electoral results were pretty conclusive which resulted in a much better performance of the governing party. The picture below shows the soon-to-be party coverage of Singapore. I won't state too much comments with regards to the electoral result as this would not be the appropriate forum. However what I will say is that I do hope to see a more balanced parliamentary coverage in future elections. This should only benefit a first-world country like Singapore truly is, or is trying to become.

As shared previously, I would be sharing a brief update of my portfolio progress. As can be seen in the Bloomberg screenshot shared below, the portfolio is still deep in red territory. However, what is positive is that we have shifted somewhat from the steepest declines seen in mid-August when overall losses were in the double digit % terms.
Stock Portfolio as of 12 Sept 2015
Moving ahead, I will be holding unto the direction of my portfolio steadily. The course has not changed and in the months ahead, I most probably will be adding unto select positions. It is highly probable that I will be adding positions in either Jardine Matheson (JMH) or Singtel. The main emphasis for me is to identify companies that either have large existing moats (JMH) that are trading at temporary lower prices or those that are able to use technological innovations to improve both the efficiency and diversity of their businesses (Singtel). In other words, businesses that are able to grow and sustain either their top-line growth or profit margins.

There are certain components of the portfolio that I have a keen eye on in terms of looking out for potential headwinds. This would be the REITs segment (with rising rates and increased penetration of online shopping) and Sembcorp Ind. (weak oil prices). I do not expect to be adding unto those positions at the moment given the uncertain macro risks they still face.

Lastly, there are the quality stocks which I own but with still lofty valuations. These would be the likes of Raffles Medical and ComfortDelgro. They remain great businesses but I remain hesitant to build those positions until the prices make more sense from a valuation perspective.

Dividends for the portfolio remain strong and by the end of 2015, a total of $2,500 worth of dividends will have been paid (based on the current positionings). I'm really glad as this presents a small step in my journey to investing full time and building a solid and sustainable passive income stream.

Will look to write some detailed analyses on both Jardine and Singtel in days to come. In the meanwhile have a wonderful Sat. and a good post election day ahead! As usual, back to my books and more reading on financial statement analysis :)

Signing Off
Transitioning Stock Investor

No comments:

Post a Comment