Powered By Blogger

Sunday 24 May 2015

Topic of the Day: Portfolio Allocation

Hi Folks

Decided to come up with ocassional topics of the day. The first topic I would like to elaborate on after sharing my portfolio is portfolio allocation.

Now, you might be wondering why I chose the stocks that I had and why are the industry positionings as such. 

Well, the short answer to that was that the industrial allocation was a subsequent result of the stocks that I chose. Also, I was fully aware of the importance of diversification when I was constructing my portfolio (which took me around a year to build). 

So remember, before we even go into individual stock selections and drilling into numbers and reports, the importance of having a well diversified and balanced portfolio cannot be underestimated.

Tips for Portfolio Allocation:

1. Choose industries that have lower correlation and neutral to market trends
- Eg. banks versus transport represent a low correlation
- it is important to have a mostly neutral allocation as in the event of market rotations from cyclicals to consumer staples, you will not be caught flat flooted.

2. Keep the number maneagable
- Eg. It is far easier to manage 4-5 industries that you are well informed about

3. Avoid Industry concentration
- Eg. Avoid putting all your stocks in only one industry. If you only buy bank stocks and if there is a financial crisis, your portfolio is severely impacted.

That's it. 3 easy steps to build a stock portfolio that is balanced, easy to manage and with risks managed.

Comments and sharing are most welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment