Powered By Blogger

Sunday 26 July 2015

Daily Encounters with Companies within my Portfolio

Interestingly, I had first hand experience to deal with many of the companies that I have in my portfolio. You see, this is exactly what makes these companies great in my eye. They are not some stock ticker or symbol that I play around with. These to me are actual quality and solid businesses that make profits and contribute to the overall growth of the economy. They are doing stuff that are very familiar to me and I hope stuff that will continue to be as relevant if not more, in the future.
That's why I ignore what most pundits say and I proudly say that I am in love with my portfolio and I shall always stay invested in the same holdings and probably add more if it's relevant. The only reason a company leaves my portfolio is if a significant or long term impairment of its business model occurs or there is some permanent underlying reason that makes the holding in my portfolio unviable.

Raffles Medical - I visited Raffles Hospital yesterday for a medical appointment and saw first hand the demand for healthcare needs in Singapore. Let me say that I was pretty impressed with the crowds I saw and at the efficiency and service standards of the hospital. The crowds that I witnessed were again clear signs that healthcare is a paramount need in Singapore not only for locals but for foreigners as well. This is a small holding to me but I would be keen to add exposure when the price becomes more viable as it has risen quite substantially recently.

Singtel - Most of us nowadays have a mobile phone. And with that phone i'm sure, a data plan. I just paid my monthly mobile bill recently and what a hefty bill it was. The great thing about such companies is how sticky customers tend to be and also slight price increases over time is mostly tolerated by users as mobile usage has become second nature to us. This is a core holding to me.

Capitamall Trust and Mapletree Commercial Trust -  I have been shopping at Vivocity and many of the malls under Capitamall Trust and glady I still enjoy those shopping experiences plus the convenience of many of the malls. It's true that online shopping nowadays is catching on but there are many times whereby you need a brick and mortar shopping experience to get the stuff you need. That is the modus operandi of Capmall as alot of their malls serve necessity requirements. Nevertheless, REITs remain a semi-peripheral holding in my portfolio. 

Sembcorp Industries - The only service that I get to experience with this company is their waste disposal service and I see those trucks pretty often. In fact it's this part of the business that got me initially intrigued to the overall company. We all need waste to be disposed one way or another don't we. This holding has been the biggest detractor thus far for me, I adopt a wait-and-see attitude on whether I will still continue to add on dips.

Jardine Matheson - I shop pretty frequently at Cold Storage and Giant, which are all under this huge conglomerate via Dairy Farm. I also work at MBFC and part of it is is owned by HK land, which is under this conglomerate. It seems that is is hard to escape the reach of this massive company and this is exactly what I like about it. Although the stock has been pretty weak recently and earnings are forecasted to be slow I still am very positive on the LT prospects of this iconic conglomerate. I look to increase exposure in this holding for sure in future.

OCBC Bank - As a consumer I dont have much access to OCBC's services and perhaps I should have more. Nevertheless, I like the business and how it serves alot of the rest of us and that is suffice reason for me to stay invested. I shall probably look at DBS in the near future too as I use alot more of its services. But for now, OCBC remains a key anchor of my portfolio.

Comfortdelgro - MRT (certain lines), taxis, bus, vehicle inspection, etc. Come on, I deal with this company extremely closely. Be it taking taxis, buses, sending my car for inspection this is another great example of business you can't really escape. And I'm glad so far it does not seem to have much of the maintenance issues witnessed by SMRT. I really like this company and it has become a core holding in my portfolio.

In summary, as shown above many of the companies I own, I use their goods and services alot. That gives me a great advantage as I am able to experience first hand, the quality and necessity of their offerings over time. It allows me a strategic vantage point as a first hand user, to determine if the businesses they run are still as relevant today and in the near future. And that honestly, helps me sleep better at night. Remember, invest only in businesses YOU understand and not necessarily something that a stock analyst has recommended in which the business is something you have not even heard of. Thanks for reading and have a blessed week!

Signing Off
Transitioning Stock Investor

5 comments:

  1. Good post, Paul. We often encounter many companies and businesses when we go out, and it definitely pays to be aware and to observe, as we can learn a lot from such trips.

    That said, there is sometimes a disconnect between what is viewed as a good investment versus what is viewed as a good company/service provider. As an investor, scuttlebutt is important but it is equally important to analyse the numbers for the business and also study its competitors. In addition, being invested in certain companies may also bring about the dreaded "confirmation bias", which is simply to observe phenomena which conforms to what you wish to believe.

    For RMG, you may like to refer to the following post:-
    https://www.fool.sg/2015/07/23/ive-made-a-70-gain-on-this-stock-in-less-than-2-years-heres-why-im-worried/

    SCI seems to be having some issues with its Utilities division, while DFI is also facing a weaker retail environment in its key markets. Any comments on these potential risks?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've chosen to keep investing simple and more importantly fun. So I enjoy staying invested in businesses that I like and keeping it simple. I really could go on and on about analysing and giving 101 nuggets of 'thoughts' but truth be told I just choose companies I like, make sure the price makes sense and I just buy it. I keep the brain-drain at work. So yeah my blog as can be seen is trying to keep all things simple, as it should be and making use of my freed time to enjoy with my loved ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Musicwhiz, I really wont have much comments and responses on your questions on the risks regarding both companies as honestly, I simply don't know. However, what I do know is that there is no impairment to both businesses and those are valid enough reasons to stay invested. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paul Z,

    While being able to see the companies on a regular business, which gives us a bottom-up view of the company, we also have to careful to look from a top-down approach such as through the financial statements to get an overall view of the health of a company (as well as in relation to share price, noticed that you hold Raffles Medical which currently has quite a high P/E ratio)

    From,
    Just Some Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had similar concerns on the P/E of Raffles. However we must not forget that Raffles medical is not a value stock, it is a growth biased one. The crucial question then is, does the future viability of the business justify its current high P/E. I dont hold much growth stocks in my portfolio, but when I do I do it with conviction. So it's anybody's guess but the proof I always say is in the price. So i will add on to Raffles if the price does take a breather, which it currently is. And just to add, I do prowl through financial statements pretty regularly and what I look out for are impairments, rather than make forecasts which from both an ex-post and ex-ante basis I have found to be often varied. Trying to keep things simple and sensible. Just my two cents worth! :)

    ReplyDelete