Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 16 June 2015

Portfolio Update #3 Sembcorp Industries

This is the 3rd instalment of my portfolio update and this is where it becomes interesting. I will be touching on Sembcorp Industries today, a stock in which I own 2 lots of. This stock represents the Industrials segment of the sector allocation within my portfolio.
Sembcorp Ind. 1 year share price (Source: Bloomberg)


















Share Price
As can be seen above, the share price of the stock has been seeing a steady decline since Aug 2014 last year. This as we all know can be attributed mostly to the fall in oil price over the same period. The average cost of my holdings is $4.43, so this is around halfway of the peak to trough price.

Pros of Sembcorp
The reason why I commented that this post is interesting is because I truly do not know or have a good gauge where the share price of this company is heading to in the near future. On one hand I know that there is a solid business model in place for Sembcorp and I was not only focussed on their O&G businesses when I bought the stock. I also greatly favoured their utilities and waste management businesses, sectors which I found important and necessary in any market environment.
The dividend payout and yield of the company has been excellent as well and has been really consistent over the years.

Cons of Sembcorp
Neverthless, the company could not escape the eventual impact of a low oil price and its effect on its margins and marine segment of the business. I also re-studied their latest financial statements last evening and the numbers do paint a pale picture of their businesses. Overall, turnover and margins have been falling with also a drop in free cash flow generated. Debt levels are increasing for the company which is inevitable for a capital intensive company. Lessons previously learnt from a local water management company which can be read in my previous post on "Due Diligence" and the importance of throwing caution to capital intensive companies still ring fresh in my mind.

Valuation
Usually I have strong conviction in my portfolio holdings and when the price falls I usually average down due to that conviction. However,  using  the Graham's discount model (will not furnish the valuation here, as this is just used as an estimate) the fair value for the company that I have derived at is still at a level that is lower than its current share price. Do note that this is not a recommendation to you to buy or sell the stock but just a valuation guide that I have used to help determine my investment decision.

Summary
I may probably add holdings of this position if I see a turnaround in prospescts of the company moving forward. At the current moment, I'm adopting a wait and see approach as there are just too many potential headwinds and questions left to be answered.


Signing Off
Transitioning Stock Investor

2 comments:

  1. SCI Q1 results for their Utilities business was disappointing as earnings took a big drop, will u hold or sell if the earnings for their Utilities business continue to slide down... especially due to the singapore segment

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Felix def i will hold unto these shares, regardless of the near term pressures. The overall busines is what i like, and my LT view doesnt change.

    ReplyDelete